Head of Faculty: Miss J. Bain
There are very few Sporting Academies who can claim that 100% of their students complete a level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport, having achieved a minimum of DDD, which is the equivalent of 3 A grades at A level. Here, in the Academy of Sport, we can proudly claim this accolade.
In the Academy of Sport we pride ourselves on offering a diverse and varied programme of study, aimed at developing students both academically and as athletes. If you are considering a career in the world of sport, then the Academy of Sport is the place for you.
We offer a unique and individualised timetable structure which incorporates level 3 educational provision, as well as high quality coaching and tutoring in each of our Sporting Academies.
Alongside academic study, each individual Academy has a dedicated team of highly skilled coaches and managers that will ensure students receive the best possible opportunities within one of the following Sports Academies:
- Boys’ Football
- Girls’ Football
- Sports Medicine
- Coaching and Teaching
The training our students receive within their chosen Academy will enable them to develop individual technical skills and overall performance, through our high quality coaching and programmes of study. Students have numerous opportunities to represent the Academy in National and Regional fixtures and UK wide coaching events.
- Head of Faculty – Miss Bain
- Lead Teacher of Sport and Exercise Science – Mr Watson
- Teacher of Sport/Golf Academy Manager – Mr Lindley
- Lead Teacher of Level 2 Sport – Mr McClune
- Teacher of Level 2 Sport – Mr Gittins
- Head of the Football Academy– Duncan Milligan
- Football Coach – John Buckley
- Sports Medicine Academy Manager – Rick McGowan
- Coaching and Teaching Academy Manager/School Gamers Organiser – Craig Dallas
Students within the sports academy will study either a level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport or a level 3 Extend Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science.
Students will study a selection of modules which cover a wide variety of topics within the world of sport, for example Coaching for Sports Performance, Anatomy and Physiology, Sports Leadership and Sports Injury Management.
The qualification is mainly assessed through coursework tasks. However, there are now examinations built in to the BTEC qualification..
Beyond the Curriculum
On a weekly basis students work with a selection of highly qualified coaches and Sports therapists to develop subject knowledge within their chosen academy. Students experience working alongside coaches and therapists from various sporting backgrounds, linked to a number of highly recognised clubs such as Retford Golf Club, as well as working closely with coaches in the US and Canada looking to support students in gaining scholarships. Expertly qualified staff are on hand to support students in applying for university, and will tutor these students through the process to ensure they successfully gain a place on the most appropriate degree course.
In order to improve opportunities to further progress once students have completed the Academy course, we provide students the opportunity to gain a selection of additional qualifications alongside their educational studies. These include:
- Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership
- Level 2 Award in Sports Leadership
- Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
- Level 2 Award in Instructing Kettlebell Training Sessions
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
- Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy
- Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapies in Sport
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy
- Sports specific coaching courses, e.g. Tri Golf.
- Emergency First Aid at Work