Thank you NHS
May we take this opportunity to offer our sincere gratitude to those amazing parents that work in the NHS and other jobs critical to keeping the country going through these extremely difficult times. #localheroes
Week 3 – Update
Welcome back after Easter. Just to let you know what’s been happening;
- AAW has provided care for Key worker and vulnerable children every day throughout the Easter holidays
- Lots of fun was had with daily Joe Wicks, Reading time, Maths challenges, Easter Egg hunts, Live theatre productions and even the odd game of crazy golf for those not keen on active lessons on the 4G!
- Free School Meals Voucher Scheme provides vouchers to FSM children throughout Easter
- Sandwiches were delivered to some students facing significant financial hardship
- Y10 GCSE options published to students and parents via the App
- Teachers work hard on GSCE Grading – Find out more here
Mrs Atkins continues to ensure as many of our students access Frog Learn on a daily basis. The vast majority of students are now logging on daily to access work set by their teachers. Here is the link https://astreawoodfields-doncaster.frogos.net again. If you are having any issues please contact the Academy by email email@example.com
1000s of schools are taking part with over 100,000 students in the FrogPlay Championships! This is online quizzing and earning points as students complete their work with FROG.
We are proud to announce that we are currently 6th in these championships, against schools from across the world. One of our students, Ben G, also is currently third place in the league table. Keep going on FROG everybody! Log in every day. 6th place is pretty amazing considering we weren’t even using Frog at the very start of the competition!
The Oak National Academy
On Monday 20th April the Government launched a national approach to distance learning with the launch of the Oak National Academy. Teachers at Astrea Woodfields may use these resources to complement their own lesson planning for lessons set via Frog. Every lesson will be free to use for every teacher and every student. https://www.thenational.academy/
Find links to all distance learning information on our Academy website
Health and Well Being
Now more than ever our own Mental and Physical Health is so important. We have put together a document containing links to lots of sources of practical advice to support your Physical, Mental and Social Health during this time.
NHS – CAMHS Mental Health Services
CAMHS are offering support sessions via telephone 10-3pm every Tuesday and Thursday. Please contact them on 01302 769191.
Students in school
The Academy remains open for children where both parents are keyworkers and those that maybe vulnerable. During this time there are planned activities for students to undertake. These include;
- Current Affairs – e.g. making their own newspapers, watching CBBC newsround, having a discussion about the news.
Reading – e.g. choosing a book from a library selection and reading.
- Active – e.g. students engaged in physical activity, doing the YouTube PE with Joe Wicks activity, dance, keepie uppie challenge….
- Strategy – e.g. students engaged in board games, card games, battleships, designing their own board games, crossword, wordsearches, sudoku and other written puzzles
- FROG – catching up on work set for them on Frog
Creative – e.g. watching online theatre, art work, listening to music, colouring.
Home visits and Safeguarding checks
Staff at AAW continue to carry out student visits and make phone calls to make sure everyone is safe and well.
Children at home
Thank you to everyone that have shared some of the fantastic work that is going on at home. Children were keen to get creative at home with Mrs Ward Y8 Art Challenge!
As all the schools in the country are now closed to most students, children will inevitably be spending more and more time online. Whether that time is learning online via Frog Learn or socialising with friends via Instagram or HouseParty, it is important, now more than ever, that we continue to educate children about how to keep themselves safe online. Please see the link below to the NSPCC website which contains some very clear and useful information about how to keep children safe online.
Doncaster Community Hub
DMBC are offering support to the community’s most vulnerable members by helping them with things such as collecting medicine and shopping. Please visit their website at www.dncomunityhub.orguk, call on 01302 430300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“Doncaster Council has handed out more than 1,700 food parcels, collected and delivered nearly 1,400 prescriptions and contacted nearly 1,000 people who requested help via a self-isolation form”, Mayor Ros Jones has said. Read the full story
Stay at home – Protect the NHS – Save Lives
Please continue to follow the Government’s advice on how to protect you and others during the Coronavirus outbreak. Please check this out the latest Government guidance found here: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
We are all here for each other;
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us via the Academy App or if you need to reach out to any of the team here at AAW during this difficult time, together as always, we are all here for each other!
- Safeguarding – Miss Lisa Bland – email@example.com
- Frog – Mrs Julie Atkins – Froghelp@astreawoodfields.org
- App – Mr Jacob Gorham – Astrea.App@astreawoodfields.org
- Counselling – Mrs Joanne Boulter – Joanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Careers Advice and Guidance – Careers Inc – https://www.careersinc.uk/blog/2020/03/18/virtual-careers-advice/
- Supervision of Key Worker children – Mr Alistair Hartley – Alistair.email@example.com
- Free School Meal Vouchers – Please message in via the App
- New Y7 Parental questions (Transition) – Mr Luke Sadler – Luke.Sadler@astreawoodfields.org
- Academy site team management – Mrs Claire Hudson – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Principal – Mr Adam Atkinson (Principal’s PA – Ms Karen Bromilow – Karen.Bromilow@astreawoodfields.org)