Week 4 – Update
As we end the 4th school week of lockdown, we like to keep you updated with what’s been happening in the background. When we closed the school gates to most children on the 20th March lots has happened since…..
- Setup online learning platform Frog Learn and supported all students to use and access (of 12million users across 24 countries – AAW is now 6th in global usage league tables!! – Well done AAW!)
- Leaning activities are set daily for students to complete in addition to a large bank of resources already in the system.
- Also provides daily access to message teachers, ask questions and keep in contact every single school day. This ensure communication is safe, both safeguarding our students and staff.
- Opened the academy every day to children of key workers and vulnerable, including the Easter holidays, Good Fri and Easter Monday.
- Made daily calls to our Academy’s most vulnerable and disadvantaged and those not accessing Frog as a priority.
- Provided and delivered food parcels to some most vulnerable.
- Set up and funded our own Free School Meals voucher scheme and provided supermarket vouchers to 254 families
- Carried out daily home visits to most vulnerable to check on their welfare
- Distributed ICT equipment and mobile phones to staff, allowing them to work from home and make welfare calls safely.
- You may receive a call between 10am- 3pm on weekdays. The call will usually come from the school number or a private mobile number. On occasion, the call may come from a withheld number. It is important that you answer these calls otherwise we may need to carry out a home visit.
- Developed an secure online platform to be able to access limited student records from home.
- Collected and confirmed GCSE options for our current Y9 students into Y10
- Teachers have also been working hard on GSCE Grading and quality assurance – Find out more here
Mrs Atkins continues to ensure as many of our students access Frog Learn on a daily basis. The vast majority of students are now logging on daily to access work set by their teachers. Here is the link https://astreawoodfields-doncaster.frogos.net again. If you are having any issues please contact the Academy by email firstname.lastname@example.org
1000s of schools are taking part with over 100,000 students in the FrogPlay Championships! This is online quizzing and earning points as students complete their work with FROG. We are proud to announce that we are currently 6th in these championships, against schools from across the world. One of our students, Ben G, also is currently third place in the league table. Keep going on FROG everybody! Log in every day. 6th place is pretty amazing considering we weren’t even using Frog at the very start of the competition!
The Oak National Academy
On Monday 20th April the Government launched a national approach to distance learning with the launch of the Oak National Academy. Teachers at Astrea Woodfields may use these resources to complement their own lesson planning for lessons set via Frog. Every lesson will be free to use for every teacher and every student. https://www.thenational.academy/
Find links to all distance learning information on our Academy website
NHS Service – With Me in Mind
Me in Mind are a new team of Mental Health Support Workers who were usually based in and near schools and colleges around Doncaster and Rotherham who help children and young people with their mental health. The team help enhance support already in place from school counsellors, nurses, educational psychologists and the voluntary sector to treat those with mild to moderate mental health issues in school. The team can also help children and young people with more severe needs to access the right support and provide a link to specialist NHS services. They are still available remotely to provide help and support during this time.
What can they help with?
- Low mood
- Simple phobias
- Sleep problems
- Panic attacks
- Behavioural and emotional problems
They can also help to educate around:
- Resilience and assertiveness
- Managing exam stress
- Social media
- Guided self-help
- Helpful resources and local links for accessing more support
We have also put together a range of links to a variety of other support providers and ideas to help us all get through this together ….
NHS – CAMHS Mental Health Services
Students in school
The Academy remains open for children where both parents are keyworkers and those that maybe vulnerable. During this time there are planned activities for students to undertake. These include;
- Current Affairs – e.g. making their own newspapers, watching CBBC newsround, having a discussion about the news.
Reading – e.g. choosing a book from a library selection and reading.
- Active – e.g. students engaged in physical activity, doing the YouTube PE with Joe Wicks activity, dance, keepie uppie challenge….
Strategy – e.g. students engaged in board games, card games, battleships, designing their own board games, crossword, wordsearches, sudoku and other written puzzles
- FROG – catching up on work set for them on Frog
- Creative – e.g. watching online theatre, art work, listening to music, colouring.
As all the schools in the country are now closed to most students, children will inevitably be spending more and more time online. Whether that time is learning online via Frog Learn or socialising with friends via Instagram or HouseParty, it is important, now more than ever, that we continue to educate children about how to keep themselves safe online. Please see the link below to the NSPCC website which contains some very clear and useful information about how to keep children safe online.
Stay at home – Protect the NHS – Save Lives
Please continue to follow the Government’s advice on how to protect you and others during the Coronavirus outbreak. Please check this out the latest Government guidance found here: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
We are all here for each other;
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us via the Academy App or if you need to reach out to any of the team here at AAW during this difficult time, together as always, we are all here for each other!
Safeguarding – Miss Lisa Bland – email@example.com
Frog – Mrs Julie Atkins – Froghelp@astreawoodfields.org
App – Mr Jacob Gorham – Astrea.App@astreawoodfields.org
Counselling – Mrs Joanne Boulter – Joanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
Careers Advice and Guidance – Careers Inc – https://www.careersinc.uk/blog/2020/03/18/virtual-careers-advice/
Supervision of Key Worker children – Mr Alistair Hartley – Alistair.email@example.com
Free School Meal Vouchers – Please message in via the App
New Y7 Parental questions (Transition) – Mr Luke Sadler – Luke.Sadler@astreawoodfields.org
Academy site team management – Mrs Claire Hudson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal – Mr Adam Atkinson (Principal’s PA – Ms Karen Bromilow – Karen.Bromilow@astreawoodfields.org)