12th February 2021
Uniform and Dress Code
We have previously circulated our uniform and dress code requirements and expect all students to adhere to these at all times. For ease of reference, these requirements have been included in this letter. Of particular note are that students are not permitted to wear trainers of any type or design. Moreover, students are not permitted to wear non-Astrea jumpers, sweatshirts, cardigans or hoodies under or over their blazers (or instead of one). Any and all non-compliant clothing will be placed in reception for collection by parents/carers. All uniform and dress code infringements will be subject to the full range of sanctions as per our Behaviour Policy. If the requirements are not met, parents/carers will be contacted to rectify the issue(s) e.g. bringing the correct uniform or shoes to the academy. Alternatively, students could be sent home to change.
Items brought into the academy
We have previously drawn your attention to our Behaviour Policy (available on the academy website) which details what can and cannot be brought into the academy. We have noticed that some students are bringing items into the academy that contravene the policy. For ease of reference, common items that cannot be brought into the academy are listed below. The full list is in our policy. As per our policy, these items will be confiscated and either disposed of or donated to charity. From January, all students will be subjected to checks at the academy entrance. To avoid disappointment and unnecessary expense, we recommend that students do not bring these items to the academy:
- Energy drinks including (a) those with glucose e.g. Lucozade (or other similar brands) and (b) those with caffeine e.g. Monster or Red Bull (or other similar brands) etc.
- Carbonated drinks e.g. Coke, Pepsi, Fanta (or other similar brands) etc.
- Multi-packs of chocolates, sweets, crisps, drinks etc.
- Large ‘sharing-size’ bags of crisps, maize-based or corn-based snacks etc.
- Large ‘sharing-size’ bags of sweets, cakes, cookies, doughnuts etc.
Electronic devices and mobile phones
We have previously drawn your attention our electronic devices clause (including mobile phones) in our Behaviour Policy. This is a reminder that all electronic devices should be ‘invisible’ while students are in the academy. When electronic devices are ‘visible’ they will be confiscated and placed in the academy reception. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are trying to reduce the amount of visitors on to the academy site. So, until further notice, students are permitted to collect confiscated devices from the academy reception at the end of the day. This is a temporary measure and parents will be asked to revert to collecting these themselves when restrictions have been lifted. All electronic device infringements will be subject to the full range of sanctions as per our Behaviour Policy.
Thank you for your ongoing support to the academy. As ever, if you have any questions please do get in touch.
Uniform and dress code requirements
The academy models its uniform on what employers would expect in a professional office or business environment. Our uniform is ‘business smart’.
- Astrea Academy* navy blazer with academy logo
- Astrea Academy* tie with navy/maroon stripe for Y7 to 10 or navy/silver stripe for Y11
- White long or short-sleeved shirt, with formal collar and fastened button. Shirts must be worn fully-tucked in.
- Dark grey trousers or dark grey or navy knee-length, A-Line skirt.^
- Dark grey or navy plain socks or plain tights
- Black professional and polishable shoes**
- School bag which will fit the academy planner, A4 size exercise books and basic equipment. Basic equipment consists of a pencil case including pens, pencils and a ruler. The planner, books and equipment must be carried at all times.
- Astrea Academy* burgundy/silver V-neck jumper – available with long-sleeves or sleeveless. Any other non-Astrea jumper, sweatshirt or hoodie cannot be worn.
- Outdoor coat – dark in colour e.g. black or navy with no large logos. Denim and leather coats and jackets are not allowed. A hoodie or zipped hoodie are not coats and cannot be worn in substitution of one.
Academy PE Kit – Mandatory Items
- Plain Black short or long-sleeved T-Shirt with no logo or optional with Academy* Logo
- Black sports shorts
- Plain black socks
- Black sports jogging bottoms/black sports leggings with no logo
- Outdoor trainers with good grip and laces
- Indoor trainers with non-marking soles and laces
- Football boots (if required)
- We strongly recommend: gum shields – for rugby/hockey and shin pads – for football/hockey
* Items can be purchased from www.logoleisurewear.com
^Trouser and skirt requirements. Trousers must be grey and full-length with a parallel leg. A tapered or short leg is not allowed. Jeans, jeggings, leggings or any sportswear are not substitutes for trousers and are not allowed. Skirts must be grey or navy and knee-length with an A-line. Short pencil-design skirts are not allowed.
**Black shoe requirements. Shoes must be plain black, professional and polishable and with no logos or embellishments suitable for an office environment. Trainers, boots, pumps or canvas shoes of any type are not allowed. Heels should be no higher than 2.5cm / 1-inch.
Dress Code 2020-21
The academy models dress code on what employers would expect in a professional office or business environment. The following items are allowed:
- One single pair of stud-earrings
- One wrist watch
- One necklace (but not visible)
- Discreet (and skin tone) make-up
- Clear or natural-tone nail varnish
- Natural tone hair including natural highlights
- Natural hair style
For reasons of health and safety and/or not meeting the expectation of a professional office or business environment, the following items are not allowed:
- Multiple sets of earrings
- Hooped earrings
- Other visible piercings (ear, nose, eyebrow etc.) If students choose to have extra piercings, they must not wear the jewellery in the academy.
- Visible wrist or ankle bracelets
- Noticeable make-up (any make-up must be discreet). This includes fake tan#
- Coloured or fluorescent nail varnish or gels
- False eyelashes
- False nails including acrylics, extensions
- Hair or highlights that are not a natural tone e.g. red, green, blue etc. #
- Extreme hair styles e.g. shaved hair patterns #
- Head wear including head scarves, bandanas and caps (unless for religious reasons). Head wear worn for religious reasons must be plain black, grey or navy.
# The Principal and Vice Principals have the final say over all aspects of uniform and dress-code including jewellery, make-up and hair colour / hairstyles.